During the last two months, I did the rounds of various retro game shops in Akiba to pick up some games Terranigma fans on twitter kept raving about... at the same time, family in Norway sent a care package with the games I had left in storage, AND a friend of mine in Japan noticed I was into retro games and gifted me a whole bunch of games from her brother's collection (not being into retro games anymore and thinking about throwing them out).
WHICH MEANS!!! I have a ton of games to add to my list. Here are all the new games!
- Soul Blader (EN: Soul Blazer, never released in Europe)
- ガイア幻想紀 (EN: Illusion of Gaia / Illusion of Time)
- スラップスティック (EN: Robotrek, never released in Europe)
- Wonder Project J (Japan only)
- Disney's Beauty and the Beast
- Disney's Pinocchio
- Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse
- ミッキーのマジカルアドベンチャー (EN: The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse)
- ミッキーとミニー マジカルアドベンチャー2 (EN: The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minnie)
- ミッキーとドナルド マジカルアドベンチャー3 (EN: Disney's Magical Quest 3 Starring Mickey & Donald)
- アウターワールド (EN: Another World)
- がんばれゴエモン きらきら道中〜僕がダンサーになった理由〜 (Japan only)
- Dragon Quest V
- 高橋名人の大冒険島 (EN: Super Adventure Island)
- 高橋名人の大冒険島II (EN: Super Adventure Island II)
- 美少女戦士セーラームーン ANOTHER STORY (EN: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Another Story, Japan only)
- Chrono Trigger
- Batman Returns
- 武豊 G1メモリー (Japan Only)
- Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension
- スーパー桃太郎電鉄DX (Japan only)
- ディノブリーダー2 (EN: Dino Breeder 2, GameBoy, Japan only)
- ポートピア連続殺人事件 (EN: The Portopia Serial Murder Case, Famicom, Japan only)
- Mother3 (GameBoy Advance, Japan only)
So many games, so little time! :D
Twitch two months in. How is it going? Better than expected. I am still enjoying myself, I feel more relaxed and confident, I am having a BLAST playing through games I've been meaning to play for forever and at the same time having the chance to showcase these games to people who may not have heard of them.
My setup has changed a couple of times, but I have figured out a setup that works fairly well for now. I use SLOBS as my streaming software. It resets all my settings every once and again for completely unknown reasons, which causes me a tiny bit of paranoia, but other than that it seems to work well enough.
Trying to build a community on twitch is an interesting experience. I have a loyal bunch of followers who stop by and keep my chat active, even across tricky timezones, and it makes me so happy. I feel if I had less work or lived by myself, I would easily have streamed more than two nights a week. For now, though, two nights a week is the maximum I am able to do. I want to make an effort to watch more streamers and be more active in other streamers' chatrooms. Having now streamed myself, I see how important it is and now much it helps the streamer out.
I am contemplating setting up a Discord, thought it feels too self-indulgent currently. My goal is to reach at least 50 followers first and then take it from there. I am at 41 currently, so it somehow seems within reach. Maybe I will have reached it by the end of the month? That would have been great.
I am currently streaming Actraiser Renaissance and Lady Stalker as my main games, both fun and engaging, but both seem like they can be 20+ hour games, which may have been a miscalculation on my part. Once I finish one of them, I'll try to keep one of my streaming days dedicated to short form or one-shot games. At least I think that would be ideal.
It took nearly two months, but family in Norway came through and shipped over the Super Famicom games I had left in storage. Now I have a wide variety of both short form and long form games to play, and deciding on what to stream next has definitely become more difficult. So many games to play, so little time. Realizing I can also stream Switch games have jumbled up all my plans quite a lot as well. I kind of feel like streaming the Link's Awakening remake at some point. I thought I was going to hate the new visuals, but I love them.... and though I did my very best, I put the game aside at one point last year and then never went back to it.... so I think playing it together with chat would be a fun way to get through the whole thing.
I started thinking about what other games I could potentially see myself streaming down the line (if I still think it's fun after the first month or so of doing it...). Currently I'm streaming from an original Super Famicom through a no-brand converter/upscaler I bought at Yodobashi for like ¥4000. It looks OK after some tweaking in SLOBS. Naturally, I am looking at what other SuFami games I could stream, since I already have a setup for it. Taking inventory, I realize that I am missing a lot of the cartridges I've bought over the years. They're in storage in Norway and will need to be shipped over. Major bummer, because a few of the games I thought would make for fun, chill streams are among them.
While I wait, I thought I'd compile a little catalogue of the cartridges I currently do have access to. And I can come back and update this as needed later. These are all original Japanese cartridges. Asterisks note that I am missing the box and/or original booklet. Others are complete.
- 天地創造 (EN: Terrangima, never released in the US)
- 奇々怪界 謎の黒マント (EN: Pocky & Rocky)
- 超魔界村 (EN: Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts)
- Treasure Hunter G (Japan only)
- Live A Live (Japan only)
- Lady Stalker 過去からの挑戦 (EN: Lady Stalker: Challenge from the Past, Japan only)
- ゼルダの伝説 神々のトライフォース (EN: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past)*
- ファイアーエムブレム 紋章の謎 (EN: Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem, Japan only)*
- Super Mario World*
- スーパーマリオコレクション (EN: Super Mario All-Stars)
- ミッキーの東京ディズニーランド大冒険 (EN: Mickey's Great Tokyo Disneyland Adventure, Japan only)
- グーフィーとマックス 海賊島の大冒険 (EN: Goof Troop)
- Disney's The Lion King
- Disney's Aladdin
- Super Street Fighter II*
- Super R-Type*
- ウェディングピーチ (EN: Wedding Peach, Japan only)*
- ゴジラ 怪獣大決戦 (EN: Godzilla: The Great Kaiju War, Japan only)*
- Battle City*
- 悪魔城すぺしゃる ぼくドラキュラくん (EN: Kid Dracula)*
- KiraKira Star Night DX (Cartridge released in 2016, not officially licensed by Nintendo)
I used to have a Disney blog on here. For whatever reason, I stopped updating it in 2018. Maybe I found it difficult to find new things to write about, maybe I felt I didn't have a fresh perspective or take on things, maybe I just didn't find the time to write.... even so, I wish I'd kept going. It's 2021, and if 2018 me had known what was to come in 2019, 2020, and 2021, she would have definitely put in a bit more effort to chronicle her daily life at the parks.
In 2020, after the parks opened up again after a closure, they ran lotteries for the annual passport holders. I won two dates. Then it would be another 288 days until I was able to visit again, and we have so far no news about what's going to happen to annual passes.
So I have had to fill my time with other things than Disney stuff. I've been through quite a variety of hobbies during stay at home life in 2020-2021 (everything from magic, model building, photography to stay at home workouts, skating and painting), but the two hobbies that have stayed with me have been video games and movies. While I tweet an awful lot (particularly about current interests), I've missed being able to share the things I love in long-form. Online journaling and blogging isn't really what people do anymore, but it's what I know, so I'll keep doing it.
The Disney blog is still up, accessible from the navigation menu above, and I hope to one day be able to make regular updates to that as well!